Macarons are a delicate and visually appealing dessert that originated in France. They consist of two small, round, almond-based cookies sandwiched together with a creamy filling. Macarons come in a variety of flavors, ranging from classic vanilla and chocolate to more unique flavors like lavender and rose. The macaron is considered to be the jewel of French pastries in Europe.
Where do Macarons Come From?
The history of macarons can be traced back to the 8th century in Persia (modern-day Iran), where a similar almond-based dessert called “Louzieh” was made. The original version of the macaron consisted of just almond flour, egg whites, and sugar. However, it wasn’t until the 1830s that macarons began to resemble the colorful, sandwich-style dessert that we know today. This new version of the macaron was created by Pierre Desfontaines, who was the head pastry chef at the famous French bakery Ladurée.
The crisp, delicate cookie shell gives way to a soft, chewy interior, while the filling provides a burst of creamy sweetness. Additionally, the wide variety of flavors available means that there is a macaron for every taste preference.
Over time, macarons became increasingly popular in France and beyond, with different bakers and patisseries creating their own unique dessert variations. Today, macarons are enjoyed worldwide, with other countries putting their own spin on the classic French treat.
How did Le Macaron French Pastries® get started?
Le Macaron French Pastries® was founded by Rosalie Guillem, living in Florida, and her daughter, Audrey Guillem-Saba, living in France. They had a dream to share delectable French macarons with the world. The family, originally hailing from France, were surprised to find that the American take on the “macaron” was often simply sugar spun into a cookie shape or confused with the familiar coconut cookie “macaroon.” They knew that with a little consumer education and by treating the American palate to true authentic macarons, they could bring a new taste and texture sensation to the dessert marketplace.
What started off as a single pâtisserie shop in Sarasota, Florida, has blossomed into more than 50 locations coast to coast with a simple mission: to invite customers to slow down long enough to experience the quality and authenticity of our French macarons and enjoy one of life’s little luxuries.
Here are 10 ten reasons why macarons are considered to be the best dessert:
- They’re visually stunning. Macarons come in an array of bright colors and a distinctive round shape, making them a visually appealing dessert. They are instantly recognizable.
- They’re delicate and refined. With their light, airy texture and subtle flavors, macarons are an elegant and sophisticated dessert that feels indulgent without being too heavy.
- They’re versatile. Macarons can be filled with a variety of different fillings, from buttercream to ganache, making them a versatile dessert option that can be tailored to suit different tastes.
- They’re gluten-free. Macarons are made with almond flour and egg whites, which makes them naturally gluten-free and a good option for those with gluten sensitivities or allergies.
- They are low in calories: Compared to other desserts, macarons are relatively low in calories, making them a guilt-free treat.
- They’re bite-sized. Macarons are small and portable, which makes them a perfect dessert option for those who want something sweet on the run.
- They’re perfect for gifting. With their beautiful presentation, macarons make great hostess gifts or party favors for any special occasion.
- They’re Social Media-worthy. Macarons are perfect food photography subjects and are often featured in social media posts and feeds, making them a trendy and fashionable dessert option. The delicate, colorful shells can be arranged in a beautiful display that makes for an eye-catching Instagram post.
- They’re a luxuriously indulgent treat. With their delicate texture and sophisticated presentation, macarons are often considered a luxurious dessert that feels indulgent and special and yet is available and affordable for everyone.
- A more sophisticated dessert: macarons are considered a more sophisticated dessert due to their high-end ingredients and delicate preparation process. The delicate texture of macarons – a crispy shell with a soft, chewy interior – makes them a unique and enjoyable dessert.
Here are 5 great suggestions you can make at home with your own macarons.
Macarons make for a delicious and visually striking dessert that can be enjoyed alone or as part of a more extensive dessert spread. Here are some ways you can incorporate macarons into your dessert menu:
- Macaron Tower: Create a stunning centerpiece by building a tower of macarons. Just use melted sugar, melted chocolate, or whipped cream to keep them together. This is an excellent option for weddings, birthdays, or any other special occasion.
- Macaron Ice Cream Sandwiches: Sandwich your favorite flavor of macaron between two scoops of ice cream for a delicious and refreshing treat.
- Macaron Trifle: Layer crumbled macarons with whipped cream and fresh fruit for a light and airy dessert perfect for spring and summer.
- Macaron Cheesecake: Add crushed macarons to your cheesecake crust for a unique and flavorful twist on a classic cheesecake.
- Macaron Platter: Arrange macarons in an exciting design or pattern on a platter for a beautiful and delicious dessert that is perfect for entertaining.
No matter how you enjoy them, macarons are a versatile and elegant dessert that will impress your guests.
Macarons offer a unique combination of textures and flavors, are visually stunning, and are associated with luxury and elegance. Their unique preparation process makes macarons a truly special dessert, which explains why some people consider them the best dessert.
Come visit us at one of our locations and taste them for yourself!